Wednesday, February 5, 2014

Being stonewalled

So I'm afraid that my update isn't exactly happy news. Basically, I'm getting a lot of respite care placements but when I talk to Merryweather, I get a very strange feeling that she will never willingly use me as a full time home.

This could be for multiple reasons- she already doesn't really like that I'm young, single, and don't have adoption in mind. She loves me for respite care but already made the statement (on accident) that I "won't be getting any kids" at least for the next few months.

To top off that feeling, I had another foster mom tell me she got a call this week for a placement of a 2 year old girl and when they had to turn it down, thought that the next person on the list would be me. Yeah no. Didn't happen. Because she is in my county but gets a different person to work with, she said next time she'll mention my name to see if this other RD worker even knows I exist.

So I'm feeling discouraged but at the same time open minded. This vibe I get could be all for nothing. Merryweather is very spacey so it could just be that I'm not the name that pops into her head when she has a placement or it could be that there hasn't been children that she feels would be a good fit for me yet.

On the upside- I'm doing respite care for three kids this weekend. A 5 month old, 5 year old, and 7 year old. I'm terrified.

1 comment:

  1. I hate the bias against single foster parents :( Hang in there, my cw placed a sibling group of three boys thinking she would "scare me off" they ended up being my forever kiddos!

    ReplyDelete